Chemical Spill in McAllister Hall

Classes resume after chemical spill in a science lab cabinet.

Allie Pritchett, Viking Fusion Executive Director

Students and faculty were evacuated from McAllister Hall around 9 a.m. Wednesday after a chemical spill on the first floor. 

Jamie Stone, Public Information Officer for the Rome City Fire Department, said the spill occurred in a chemical cabinet while a student was attempting to transfer the chemicals from the cabinet to the lab.  

Gary Will, Assistant Vice President of Campus Security and Emergency, said the chemical spilled was Isobutyl Chloroformate. This chemical, according to Pub Chem, can be corrosive to skin, eyes and mucous membranes. It is also toxic by ingestion, inhalation and skin absorption.

The Rome City Fire Department and the Special Operations Response Team responded to the  9-1-1 call and contained the small spill to the cabinet. Once contained and cleaned, Rome City gave the Berry College Police Department permission to reopen McAllister, according to Will.

Classes in McAllister Hall resumed at 12 p.m.

Leave a Reply